TB and HIV
- TB accounts for one third of AIDS deaths worldwide. It is the biggest killer of people who are HIV-positive.
- If you are HIV-positive, you are 30 times more likely to get sick with TB once infected.
TB and women
- TB is the single biggest killer of young women.
- Over one million women will die needlessly from TB this year.
TB and children
- Over 100,000 children will die needlessly from TB this year.
- Hundreds of thousands of children will become TB orphans this year.
TB and refugees
- As many as half of the world’s refugees may be infected with TB.
Each year, over 17,000 refugees get sick with the disease.
-- from the World Health Organization, 1999